[your address]


[name and address of union]

[name and address of payroll, labor relations and/or human resources departments of employer]

[To the appropriate union officer (see your union constitution — for the Teamsters, for example, the letter must be addressed to the Secretary-Treasurer)]:

[To the appropriate employer departments]:

I am employed by [name of employer]. Effective immediately, I resign from membership in the [name of local union] and all of its affiliated unions.

As a nonmember, I will continue to meet my lawful obligation of paying a representation fee to the union under its "union shop" or "agency shop" agreement with [name of employer] until the current agreement is modified, renewed, extended or expires, whichever comes first, at which time Indiana’s Right to Work law becomes effective as to me.

As a nonmember, I object to the collection and expenditure by the union of a fee for any purpose other than my pro rata share of the union’s costs of collective bargaining, contract administration, and grievance adjustment, as is my right under Communications Workers v. Beck, 487 U.S. 735 (1988). Pursuant to Teachers Local 1 v. Hudson, 475 U.S. 292 (1986), and Abrams v. Communications Workers, 59 F.3d 1373 (D.C. Cir. 1995), I request that you provide me with my procedural rights, including: reduction of my fees to an amount that includes only lawfully chargeable costs; notice of the calculation of that amount, verified by an independent certified public accountant; and notice of the procedure that you have adopted to hold my fees in an interest-bearing escrow account and give me an opportunity to challenge your calculation and have it reviewed by an impartial decision maker. Please consider this objection to be permanent and continuing in nature.

Accordingly, I also hereby notify you that I wish to change my dues deduction authorization to authorize only the deduction of representation fees from my wages, until the Indiana Right to Work law becomes effective as to me. If I am required to sign a new deduction authorization form to make that change in amount, please provide me with the necessary form.

Since I have resigned my membership in the union, you must, when the Indiana Right to Work law becomes effective as to me, cease enforcing the dues check-off authorization agreement that I signed. That dues check-off authorization was signed solely in conjunction with, and in contemplation of, my becoming a member of the union and, as such, will not be valid once the Indiana Right to Work law becomes effective. See IBEW (Lockheed Space Operations Co.), 302 NLRB 322 (1991); Washington Gas Light Co., 302 NLRB 425 (1991) (employer in RTW state must cease dues deduction upon receipt of resignation/revocation). Therefore, I hereby revoke, effective when the Indiana Right to Work law becomes applicable to me, any dues authorization form that I may have signed.

If you refuse to accept this letter as a dues check-off revocation, effective when the Indiana Right to Work law becomes applicable to me, I ask that you promptly inform me, in writing, of exactly what steps I must take to effectuate my dues check-off revocation. More specifically, if you contend that my revocation is not or will not be valid upon the date the Indiana Right to Work law becomes effective as to me, I ask that you promptly send me a copy of the dues deduction authorization form that I signed and also tell me specifically, including any "window period," what I must do to revoke the dues check-off authorization so that when the Indiana Right to Work law becomes effective as to me, that authorization is revoked and all dues deductions will cease.

Please reply promptly to my request. Any further collection or expenditure of dues or fees from me made without the procedural safeguards required by law will violate my rights under the National Labor Relations Act and the U.S. Constitution. In addition, failure to promptly respond to my requests will violate the union’s duty of fair representation.

Sincerely yours,


*Religious Objectors should not use this letter to resign their union membership.*